Our friend Dan hosted Thanksgiving dinner this year and everyone cooked a few dishes. I made mashed potatoes, pumpkin cheesecake pie and whipped cream. I got a little carried away (as usual) and made 10 pounds of potatoes for 9 people! Needless to say there were leftovers. And also as usual, I managed to cut myself. I must be the biggest klutz. In the past two months I have cut myself twice and took a chunk out of my finger on the cheese grater... I blame the cuts on our fancy new knives though (which we LOVE - thank you Kief & Hilary!) They are soooo sharp. Anyway, I peeled about half the potatoes until I cut myself and then Eric took over. They turned out pretty good, the pumpkin cheesecake pie not so much though. The cream cheese is different here which caused the pie to have a very strange consistency. It had the right flavor, but the texture was very bizarre. The whipped cream turned out ok - so I just put a lot of that on my pie. Dan on the other hand made a perfect pumpkin pie as well as an apple pie. Everything was delicious and everyone went from starved to stuffed in 30 minutes.
Here is my pie - with a big crack in the middle:

Here is my pie right in between Dan's perfect pies:


And all the rest of the yummy food!
While I was lucky enough to celebrate a peaceful Thanksgiving with good food and friends, the same cannot be said for many others around the world. Sadly it was also a day that saw a lot of violence, here in Nigeria and in places like India and Afghanistan. You just never know where or when something might happen - which is why it is important to be thankful for the life you have and the loved ones in it everyday of the year and not just on Thanksgiving. May all my friends, family, colleagues, and loved ones across the globe have a safe, peaceful, and happy holidy season.
No comments:
Post a Comment